What if you knew the date of your death. You were told that in 30 days, you would be gone. Nothing but a memory in the lives and memories of your friends, and those who loved you. What would you do? Would you live the last 20 days differently?
A friend of mine, that I have known since I was about 11, is dying. Granted, he is almost 84, and has had an extraordinarily great life, a wonderful wife, son and grandson, it does not make the impending loss of him any more acceptable, or less acute. It’s painful to know that in less than 30 days, he will be gone. It has caused me to think of my life and my giant list of shit I want to do before I leave this earthy plane. I have to admit that I have done a lot of things in my life, but I still have small list of stuff that I have on my “Bucket List”. You know, that list of random crap you wanna do before you get too to do it, or you die. Everyone has a Bucket List. You can’t truly live, unless you have goals in life. If you have no goals, you are rudderless…like a boat on the ocean with no way to steer yourself. What if you were to die tomorrow? What would you wish you could do before you die? What would you want to do? Where would you go? Any countries you have dreamed of visiting? Goals? Experiences? Moments? I don’t know. Some people dig sky-diving. I hate to fly, so flinging myself out of a perfectly good plane is a stupid, nonsensical idea. So what would your Bucket List contain? Travel to India? South Africa? Learn a new language? Salsa? Rumba? Tango?
Lost time is never found again…
Life is short. Yeah, and sometimes/most times it is fair, and there are certainly times when it sucks. In between running to work, and running home to make dinner, pick up the kids, go to soccer practice/dance/etc please remember that this isn’t a dress rehearsal. Do something every day, every week, every year. Even if it scares you. ESPECIALLY IF IT SCARES YOU.
Here is a slightly non-daring list. I invite you to Live out Loud.
( I have completed the ones in BOLD)
1. Renew your wedding vows
2. Solve a New York Times Crossword Puzzle
3. Learn to juggle.
4. Jump off of a waterfall
5. Go to Chicago for St. Patrick’s Day
6. Visit Abbey Road in London and re-create The Beatles’ cover with your friends…or stuffed animal
7. Take pictures with your friends in a photo booth
8. Scuba-Dive or Snorkel
9. Learn a new language
10. Visit a Communist Country
11. Try Haggis
12. Win a giant stuffed animal at a carnival.
13. Personally thank a firefighter/police officer/military veteran for their service
14. Pet a chicken
15. While at Disneyworld/Disneyland, hug the everloving SHIT out of Mickey Mouse/ Donald Duck/Goofy. You can try a “hat trick” if you want ( hug all three)
16. Drink a 100$ bottle of wine
17. Ride on the back of a motorcycle
18. Ride a Vespa/Moped
19. Get ice cream from a neighborhood ice cream truck.
20. Write your name in wet cement
21. Make a tie dye shirt and wear that bitch proudly
22. Be the house on the block with the most Christmas lights. Life is short. BE OBNOXIOUS
23. Have a pair of titty-pink plastic Flamingos in your front yard. Dress them up for the holidays
24. Own the Crayola 120 count box, and color a picture using every color in the box
25. Learn a card trick. Entertain all your friends. 3-Card Monty notwithstanding
26. Grow a garden…and then EAT IT
27. Have sex/fall asleep in a hammock. In THAT order.
28. Buy a lottery ticket. Good Luck!
29. Eat Sushi with Wasabi. Belch fire.
30. Grow some gorgeous sunflowers
31. Take Yoga
32. Crash a wedding
33. Attend a 3-day Indian ( South Asian) wedding
34. Get Henna-ed…(( See #33))
35. Ride a cable car in San Francisco
36. Jump into a pool fully clothed.
37. Ride a tuk-tuk in New Delhi
38. Eat Gumbo in New Orleans
39. Ride a river boat on the Mississippi
40. Have a Swedish Massage
41. Dance in the rain
42. Learn to say “I Love You” in at least 10 languages
43. Go on a hot-air balloon ride
44. Learn to knit/crochet
45. Go Commando
46. Fart out loud….and laugh
47. Drive/Own a convertible ( Julie!! )
48. Sing out loud
49. Touch your toes on all 7 continents
50. Swim naked in the ocean
51. Belch out loud….and laugh
52. Volunteer for Habitat for Humanity
53. Tell someone you love them. Every day. Mean it.
54. Write a letter/Send a card to a friend.
55. Dance in the house naked
56. Learn to juggle
57. Learn to make a balloon animal
58. Crowd surf
59. Photobomb someone’s picture
60. Eat Fried Pickles
61. Learn to make a origami swan
62. Learn to use chopsticks like an adult. Without the rubber band
63. Walk on the beach with the one you love
64. Dye your hair green/blue/pink
65. Write and Publish a poem
66. Kiss a frog
Life is worth living every single day. I hate that Don is dying. But I like the fact that he will be at home, surrounded by loved ones, and passing on his terms. I asked him the other day how he feels about it ( dying) and he shrugged and said “it’s part of life. Sometimes it’s a surprise and sometimes you can plan”. He’s made his peace with everything in his life, his family, and his friends and I have to respect a man who can face it with the huge amount of bravery that he is. I couldn’t do it. I am just not that brave.
He is a good man with a great attitude. I hope I have that when my time comes.
My hat’s off to you Don. Mazel tov, my friend. I love you.